I’ve been very bad at keeping up with my blog lately, with nothing written since September. It’s been a busy term at uni, and it’s had an impact on my pan-species listing progress too! September was good, with 139 new species, but I only managed 105 species in October, November and December combined. This blog will be looking at my progress over the whole year compared with my targets.
Overview: I started the year ranked 41st with a total species list of 2729, aiming to add 1000 species to reach 3729. I ended up ranked 28th, with a total species list of 4177. That’s 1448 new species in 2017, which is far more than I could ever have imagined! Here’s the rundown for each species group. Green in the ‘2017 Total’ column means I matched or exceeded my target, red means I didn’t reach it.
|Group||2016 Total||2017 Target||2017 Total|
|Remaining Insect Orders||14||40||28|
I actually failed to reach more species group targets than I reached, but some of the ones I did reach I exceeded by a very long way! My largest increases were: Beetles (292 new spp), Hemipteroids (214 new spp), Moths (178 new spp), Bryophytes (130 new spp), Fungi (129 new spp) and Vascular Plants (120 new spp).
So that’s the numbers side done. Coming soon will be a blog about all of the highlights, originally intended as a ‘top 10’, but now looking like it’ll be a top 20!